Strategic Science Advisory Group
The creation of the Kauri Dieback Strategic Science Advisory Group is just one approach agreed by the Kauri Dieback Programme to better protect kauri.
Made up of experts from science organisations, tangata whenua, government agencies and from overseas, the group is contributing their scientific knowledge and experience to strengthen our efforts to protect kauri.
Scientific research is a vital part of the response to kauri dieback. The advisory group is providing guidance and high-level strategic scientific advice to the programme.
The group is developing an enduring science plan and will help align kauri dieback research efforts. This work complements the focus the programme has had to date on developing operational tools to understand, detect and manage the disease.
For more information on the Strategic Science Advisory Group see their Terms of Reference
Photo: Plant & Food Research
- Prioritise kauri dieback disease research efforts
- Coordinate and align current and future kauri dieback science initiatives
- Consider emerging technologies and ideas to manage kauri dieback
- Identify any critical knowledge gaps and ways to fill them
- Find opportunities to learn from similar research programmes in New Zealand and overseas
- Provide assurance kauri dieback research is fit for purpose
- Dr Ian Ferguson, Specialist Science Adviser to the Director-General, MPI (Chair)
- James Ataria, Kauri Dieback Tangata Whenua Rōpū nominee; Te Tira Whakamātaki Board Member; Senior Lecturer at the Bio-Protection Research Centre, Lincoln University;
- Lindsay Bulman, Science Leader, Forest Protection, Scion
- Marie McEntee, Social Scientist, University of Auckland
- Karyn Froud, Biosecurity Scientist
- Giles Hardy, Director of the Centre for Phytophthora Science and Management, Murdoch University, Perth
- Veronica Herrera, Director Diagnostics and Surveillance Services, MPI
- Ken Hughey, Departmental Science Advisor, Department of Conservation
- Danette Olsen, Manager Strategic Investments, Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
- Haami Piripi, Kauri Dieback Tangata Whenua Rōpū nominee; Te Tira Whakamātaki Board Member; Te Rūnanga o Te Rarawa, Kaitaia;
Find out more about the Strategic Science Advisory Group Members.