Some tacks in the upper north island are being periodically closed to aid the protection of kauri.
There are various reasons for track closures, including:
- Upgrading current tracks to protect kauri roots and minimise the spread of soil in wet conditions
- Installation and upgrading of cleaning stations
- Tracks in areas with a high risk of kauri dieback disease
Latest Track Closures
The below DOC tracks in the Kauri Coast District, Tauranga and Waikato have been temporarily closed due to construction works and track upgrades.
The upgrades will take place between November 2018 and March 2019.
- Pakotai Track, Dargaville area
- Yakas Walk
- Waiotemarama Track
- Hauturu Highpoint Track
- Dickey’s Flat Track
- Mangakino Pack Track
- Waiorongomai – Low Level Track
- Wharawhara Tramway Track
- Upper Waitawheta Track
- Waipapa Track
- Waitengaue to Upper Waitawheta Track
- Waitengaue Stream Track
- Lindemann to Cashmore Track
- Lindemanns Loop Track
- Hakarimata Summit Track
More details of these closures can be found on DOC's website.